Saturday, June 26, 2010

First 40 Hours

Tuesday morning I arrived bright and early and started knocking out some of the online trainings set up for me. We have 45 days to complete them, but I wanted to get them done during my settle in, get used to my surroundings period. I was invited to go to lunch with some of my co-workers, so that was really nice. It was a chill day at the office, followed by an adventuresome night at the food store/cooking dinner with Brandon, who is Italian so the cooking process was ever so fun.

Wednesday I had a lot of meet and greets with the team. I think I had 5 of them, each lasting about a half hour. I learned what everyone does and some projects they want me to assist on. One team member wants me to help track how a soon to be promotion effects revenue. I'll also be helping track mail order sales.

I was pulled in on a meeting for the annual plan for the next fiscal year. I love just being a fly on the wall and seeing how all this works. Wednesday was definitely a busy but incredibly awesome day. Everyone was so welcoming and supportive.

Thursday I had an SAP training class in the morning, followed by more online training and meet and greets. Duranne took me to a couple conference rooms with products laid out in them. My building holds product development and such - the creative minds, in addition to us boring finance people. I had a meet and greet with the director - he is in charge of merchandise and sports finance. I was a little hesitant since we had to reschedule this and I couldn't really form an opinion of him in the meeting I sat in on.

He was awesome! He sat down real casually with me and expressed how much he wants me to do well. He said he could tell I was enthusiastic with that Disney pixie dust and everyone on the team wants me to succeed. I left that meeting feeling really energized.

Friday morning I had a meet and greet with my leader, Adam. I initially thought it was going to be me asking a bunch of questions on the annual plan meeting I sat in on in addition to the reports and presentations they gave me in a binder. (When I arrived, they made me a welcoming binder with lots of great info, including a list of acronyms which has been my savior lately). I came in all prepared and he says "let's take a walk, can I buy you a cup of coffee?" I graciously accepted and we headed down to the little coffee shop in our building.

We sat there and talked for an hour. Our meeting was only supposed to be a half hour, but he took time out of his morning to get to know me and give me advice for my program. I really like Adam, ever since that first phone call back in April. He told me he had an open door policy, that he would meet with me at least once a month (I meet with Duranne officially weekly, but talk with her everyday). He told me his background and asked about me and what I want to do. It was an awesome meet and greet.

It was someone's birthday in the office, so we had cake. I can never turn down cake! I continued with those online trainings, but my mind was numbing from being told how to make a slide in power point. Duranne rescued me by showing me some more of the building (including where the cappuccino machine is and more of the display rooms) and giving me a little project. I'm researching some other retailers and their trends over the years. It's exciting!

Overall, my first week was great. I have never felt so welcome and never felt so much support in an internship. Everyone wants to see me do well and is actively there coaching me. The office has the Disney magic too. Conference rooms are named after characters as well as the kitchens (I am by Gaston and Mrs. Pott's Kitchen). I am waiting for the day where I don't get lost going to the bathroom or exiting the building. I almost made it yesterday, but I went down a wrong way and ended up at the wrong exit haha.

To celebrate our first week, Summer (my roomie), Michael (my neighbor) and Samantha (Michael's friend) went to Epcot and then to Magic Kingdom since they were open until 12. It was the perfect ending to a great week.

Let me tell you about the friends I've mentioned so far in my blog. Corinne is my roommate who is in guest relations at Magic Kingdom. I met her on my college program - it was so weird being placed together! Fate maybe? Summer is my other roommate who is an education presenter at Animal Kingdom. Brandon is also in guest relations and the magical kingdom, I met him during check in. Michael is my neighbor who is also in finance - represent! haha Eric is also our neighbor who is doing marine animal programs in Epcot Samantha I just met last night but she is back doing a summer alumni program as a safari driver.

Today there is talks of Animal Kingdom to visit friends on their safari and then our weekly dinner with the neighbors. Tomorrow is laundry day in addition to an ice cream social they're holding here at the apartment complex. Monday is day 2 of orientation where we get to eat lunch with executives. I have NO idea what to ask. Hopefully it'll just be natural conversation. I have a training class next week, along with a couple meet and greets and team meetings.

I really like that I get to see what goes on behind the scenes - especially with merchandise. I experienced it first hand on my college program, and now I get to see the work put into it behind closed doors.

So far so good here in Orlando!

No comments: