Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Flight/Japan Day 1

My flight left Dulles around 1:00pm and traveled over the United States and the Pacific Ocean for 14 hours. I flew ANA and I highly recommend it. They served us well, and even in economy there was nice foot room. Each seat had it’s on TV and you could choose what movie you wanted to watch. They even had a camera on the plane so you could see the sky. It was really cool to see the little shadow of the plane as we took off. We passed over Alaska and Canada so that was pretty cool. The flight went by pretty fast, surprisingly. I hardly read, I tried sleeping but that didn’t work out too well.

We landed in Narita early (3:15pm), even though our flight was delayed 40 minutes. I followed the crowd, while chatting with a new friend who was stationed in Tokyo, through immigration (where I was finger printed), baggage claim and customs. I walked out the door and didn’t see Mike. I was worried for a bit, deciding when the proper time was to freak out. But soon enough, I saw him, so I ran (well quickly walked, I had luggage!) to him. He didn’t see me and thus why our first encounter was a body slam rather than a hug.

He gave me a train pass and we boarded the first of a few trains back to his dorm. We chatted the way – catching up, him giving me details on various things in/about Japan. I took a shower as soon as I got in, and then met his friend Sole who is staying with him as well and later met his friend Minsu who is an international student. We walked around his town in search of dinner – the wanted restaurant was closed so we ended up at McDonalds, which I was ok with since by this point it was 7:00pm and I was starting crash. My body wasn’t very hungry – not even for McDonalds. I was in bed by 9 – I slept on the top loft while Sole and Mike went to Minsu’s. I tossed and turned all night. My brain was so overwhelmed by the day’s events that they all came together at once causing not a very nice sleep.

No comments: