Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Japan Day 2

We got up around 4 – taking advantage of my jet lag, and went to the fish market in Tsukiju. We arrived at 6:00am and there were a lot of people there. We walked around and picked a spot for sushi. We waited for 20 minutes until we were seated. It was insanely overwhelming. I’ve never had sushi before, and I don’t speak a word of Japanese. I first had shrimp with wasabi and rice. Not bad – but next I tried squid, and almost vomited. This turned me off to everything else – but Mike enjoyed my leftovers. We walked around the town for a bit, coming across a temple which was gorgeous. We went for coffee at Starbucks. I got a tall which was so tiny – everything in Japan is so much smaller. We sat and chatted – I heard all about Mike and Minsu’s friends who left the week before my arrival. It was around 9, and we were tired so we headed back to the fort for a break. I checked my email and slept amazingly – no crazy dreams!

After a nice break, we headed of Hiroshuku which has tons of shopping. If you recall Gwen Stefani’s posse – they were the Hiroshuku girls. Japan is really into fashion, so it was packed. There was a variety of styles, but I couldn’t find much that I liked, but when I did it was quite pricey. As Mike said, “It’s expensive to be punk in Japan.” Although there was a three level dollar store, excuse me, 100 yen store there. We met up with Mike’s friend Signe – another international student from Australia. We searched for some coffee, and on the way I stumbled across the store made for me – an entire Elvis, rockabilly shop. The sad thing was – I could point out at least ten things I already owned in the shop.

We decided to eat at the Elephant Café which was absolutely gorgeous. We ordered a variety of foods which I tried but didn’t really care too much for. I got some cake that was chocolate, cream and strawberries – that was quite good! The restaurant was dark with elephants and various other statues. After a nice relaxing dinner, we walked up to Shibuya which is like the Time’s Square of Tokyo. We went to the Disney Store so we could buy our tickets for DisneySea. Just from the store I could tell different characters were popular here. After purchasing our tickets, we went to Starbucks (again haha) which was on the second floor. So we hung out and talk while witnessing the crazyness going on below on the streets. We were pretty tired, so we headed back to Mike’s place. I showered, called my mom and went right to sleep.

No comments: