Thursday, August 14, 2008

Japan Day 4

We slept pretty late today and didn’t really get a start until the afternoon, but it was fine – we all really needed sleep. We went to Asakusa which had this long low of shopping and food with a temple at the end. These shops had tons of souvenirs; luckily I had gone to the bank before we got there. I got a melon frozen drink there, it was absolutely delicious. Towards the end of the row we got lunch – I got fried noodles. I was less awkward with the chopsticks and even enjoyed my food. We topped lunch off with ice cream – I went for the melon flavor. It tasted just like cantaloupe – absolutely amazing.

We went into the temple, which was pretty cool. I felt like the tourists may have been disrupting the prayer going on, but they kept us far enough back. Outside and inside the temple they had fortunes. I did one inside the temple. You put in a dollar and shake the can so it disperses one little stick that tells you what drawer to pull out for your fortune. Mine was very bad – it said I wouldn’t get what I was chasing after, my wishes were hard to read and that I shouldn’t make trips. If you receive a fortune you don’t want – like I just did (especially with the trip part…), you tie it around one of the wires on the racks they have there.

We walked a little more around Asakusa and then headed to see Mike’s school: Meiji Gakvin University. The school was gorgeous, although we couldn’t walk around it much since it was closed for summer. We then walked the 20 minute walk Mikey had to make everyday to go back to the station to return to his dorm. We went food shopping and Mike made a fantastic stir fry for us!

No comments: